Ruby had her second CF clinic visit this week. It was not as good as her last visit, although she was a great patient. She lost weight, almost 2 lbs, she had a couple new medications added to her regimen (because really the 9 she was on before were getting way too easy), so now we are up to 11 and a vest treatment. For my nurse friends, I really need to have a MAR printed up daily and signed off. They were concerned about a possible diabetes diagnosis in addition to CF, however after checking her blood sugars for a couple days, they seem to be normal. PHEW! That might have thrown me over the edge. Her pulmonary function tests (PFT's) were not as good, but she has a cold so they didn't seem too concerned. She has to have sputum culture done each time we go and last time she couldn't cough anything up so they just did a swab and the culture came back negative for psuedomonas. So over the last month we have been practicing "expectorating." We are really lady like at our house. So they were super impressed when my cute little 4 year old could "hock a loogie." Unfortunately, the culture of her "loogie" has come back positive for psuedomonas again, which is what I was expecting. Oh well, this is where my attitude of "plan for the worst and be happy if that doesn't happen," works out for me.
Her pulmonologist talked to me about getting her to swallow her pills whole, she wasn't liking the way I was having her take her enzymes(oops). So she gave me idea to have her practice just swallowing 1/2 the capsule without the medicine first, then the empty whole capsule, and then the capsule with the medicine. She said just have it be her idea and work on it slowly over the next month. So when we got home I thought I would have her try. She had freaked out so much at the beginning that I didn't think she would even try, but she did and was
Yea for swallowing pills!!! That's awesome! Also cool about the loogies, have to admit I can't do that :) I bet someone can figure out an MAR for you :) You're such a great mom! Keep up the good work! Let me know if you need anything!
ReplyDelete